Friday, February 27, 2009

Ugggg

This is tough stuff. I had no idea. And it is probably a good thing I didn't know exactly what I was getting myself into before I signed up for it.

Am I talking about marriage?

Motherhood?

Life in general?

No....I'm talking about something MUCH, MUCH harder. Something that makes you want to scream, makes you feel like your head is going to burst. I'm talking about this blasted anatomy course I am taking.

As you know, I didn't do so well on my first exam. That hasn't helped me feel any better about things. Next Wednesday I take my practical exam in my lab class and at this moment, it is a constant source of stress in my life.

This exam goes something like this....walk into the room, drop all belongings in the corner of the room, take a clipboard with test attached and a pencil, move to whatever station (1 of 60) that I am assigned to with my clipboard to my chest, look at the bone or tissue sample or muscle and identify. We may be asked to give the action or origin or insertion point of any given muscle as well. There is no taking, no multiple choice, no mercy if you can't remember how to spell the word, or in my case if you just suck at spelling. It's all or nothing. 60 items that you just have to pull out of your overloaded brain- that is full of hundreds of terms.

It has been amazing to me to see how much I have learned though. I remember the first day looking through my lab book and seeing all of the things that we were going to be learning about. So foreign. Such strange language. But now, I can look through the manual and for the most part, I understand exactly what is being discussed. Amazing.

I just hope and pray (and feel free to add your prayers to mine....starting at 5:30 p.m. next Wednesday) that I am able to recall everything that has been and will be crammed into my little brain on test day. If I bomb another test, well, maybe I'll have to rethink my future profession.

1 comment: