Wednesday, July 15, 2009

With You


The other day, the family was sitting in the living room chatting it up.  Actually, we were trying to decide where to go and get a treat.  You see, we are all having withdrawals from not being able to eat a dessert after every meal.  Including breakfast.  We really outdid ourselves on our vacation.

Anyway, out of the blue, Ian asked me where he was going to live when he gets bigger.  I told him that he would live in his own house with his wife and his children.

His eyes teared up, his chin started to quiver.  

"What's wrong?"  I asked him.

"It hurts my feelings when you say that I won't live here." he said.

"Why does it hurt your feelings?" I asked.

"Because I want to live with you when I get bigger.  Like uncle Martin lives with his mommy."  he said.

It's always interesting to see a child's perspective.  A 40+ year old man, living at home with his parents- well, I am sure even he doesn't think he is lucky to still be living with his mommy.  But to a 5 year old boy who can't imagine anything else- he is the luckiest man alive.


1 comment: