Thursday, May 21, 2009

Remember these?


       
We are in the early stages of our basement being finished.  We had to move all of the 'stuff' that was deposited down there when we moved in 4 years ago.  Things we haven't used or really thought about in all of those years.  

As I was going through boxes, deciding which items would go to DI and which things we could still use, I came across my old typewriter.

It was a gift from my parents when I graduated from high school.  So let's see....it's 18 years old, if my math is right.

Back in the day, it was the next best thing to having a computer.  It has a word processor that you could type your whole paper on, correct any mistakes, and then hit print.  It would even save documents.  Pretty high tech, at least I thought so.  

I imagined myself sitting in my dorm, typing many college papers on it.  And I did type papers.  Just not for me.  I typed many of Erik's college papers during our early years of marriage.  (Which is what I chose to do instead of attending college myself- get married I mean, NOT type papers.)

So I found my typewriter hiding among the boxes of odds and ends that were thrown in as we moved from our last home.

It did not end up in the DI pile.  It's one of those things that I just can't bring myself to get rid of.

It was the last gift my parents gave to me before I moved away to start my life as a young wife.  I am sure it was a bit of a disappointment to them that I would not be using their gift as they had intended- which was for my own college education.  I hope they know that I used it to help Erik get his.  Which has been a huge blessing for our family.

It was an expensive gift back then and maybe that's why I feel that getting rid of it would be wasting their hard earned money.  Who knows why we keep things like this.  Sentimental value goes a long way, I guess.  Besides, it still works!


 
And it has provided hours of fun for Ian tonight!

In fact, Ian came running out of the tub when he heard the strange noise coming from my bedroom.  "What is that?" he asked.  "A typewriter." Nicole explained.  "That's weird." Ian said.

I'm feeling a little old tonight.  

3 comments:

  1. I loved this post. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! Did you ever think that you would get to an age where mentioning things like typewriters, cassette tapes, and VHS would cause a confused look on your kids faces? . . . me either . . . but we're there sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. This was fun to read about!

    ReplyDelete