Monday, May 3, 2010

Worth Your Time- fourth installment

Taking an (affordable) class or workshop that has nothing to do with your career.

I whole hearted-ly agree with this one! For the past two years I have been taking classes that have NOTHING to do with my career. :) Just kidding. I'm SURE that each and every required class that I have taken will help me to be a better nurse.

When I chose to embark on this journey that we will call, 'Going-back-to-school-to-get-my-RN', I was terrified, nervous, worried- and a whole bunch of other adjectives. But it has been such a great ride! I have taken classes on subjects such as math, psychology, biology, physiology, chemistry, health, and anatomy. Each has been fascinating to say the least. I have learned new concepts and ideas, met new people, and discovered things about myself that I probably wouldn't have ever found out any other way.

This past semester, I took an English writing class. For the most part, I enjoyed this class more than any other. Why? Because it was something that I enjoyed doing! I love to write! And I got to read what others had written- which I found to be quite enjoyable too. I got to watch myself evolve as a writer right along with my classmates. By far, it has been the most rewarding class I have taken to date. And in the end, it really has nothing to do with my career choice. I imagine that doctors don't appreciate a nurse who charts patient information in the form of a creative writing assignment or an argument paper. It would make for a great read though!

I really think that any investment you make in learning- the time, the money, the time :), is all worth it in the end. If you have been thinking that it might be fun to take a class or two (I'm thinking that a photography class would be fun!) this is something that I really, truly agree is worth your time!

2 comments: