Friday, May 7, 2010

Mother

Bright and early one December morning, a tiny, warm bundle was placed into my arms. From inside the pink and blue striped blanket, two puffy little eyes looked up at me. As the dark eyes blinked, trying to focus on my face, I realized that she already knew I was her mother.

Moments before, I had been just Becky.

And then, a little after seven that morning, I became a mother.

I'm not sure why I was chosen to be this child's mother, but from the first moment I held her in my arms, I felt so blessed to have that title.

Five long years later, I found myself once again holding a tiny wrapped bundle. As the nurse placed this new baby in my arms, he cried a cry that broke my heart. It was as if he knew I was taking him from his mother- and in a way I was. Only it was her choice to do so.

I'm not sure why I was chosen to be this child's mother, but I felt so blessed to be the one he would grow up calling 'mom'.

Once again, another 5 years would pass and my arms would find another baby placed in them. He cried for his old life with his mother- for it was all he had known. But I promised him that I would love him as if I was the one who had given birth to him. And eventually, he allowed me to hold him close and as he grew, he too called me 'mother'.

I'm not sure why I was chosen to be this child's mother, but I am grateful to be the one who gets to tuck him in at night and kiss his freckly little nose.

For sixteen years, I have worn the title of mother. It is a name that I cherish- for it did not come easily. At one point in my life, I wondered if I would ever hear a child call me by that name. But through the miracle of science, adoption and answered prayer, this is what I have become.

Sometimes there are long days when I think it would be nice to go back to being just 'Becky' and nothing else. But then I hear one of my children call for me and I remember what a gift I have been given.

To all the mother's who I am blessed to know, I want to thank you for your examples. I wish you all the happiest of Mother's Day!

3 comments:

  1. I love you mommy!! You are the best mother ever! I am the one who is blessed to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect post for Mother's Day, thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an eloquent post! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete