Saturday, August 15, 2009

Day one- sorry, no photos

I don't ever want to forget what I saw and felt on our vacation to Pennsylvania, so I am going to blog about each day.  Hopefully it won't be too painful for those who choose to read on.

The day we arrived, we were picked up from the airport by Ryan and Tiffany- which is a wonderful thing in and of itself.  It's always nice to see a familiar face and receive a welcome hug when you first arrive- and it's even better when it's from dear friends.  

So we were off, and our first stop was Philadelphia, to grab a bite to eat- of course, because that's what we do best when we are with our friends!  We dined at a restaurant called Buddahkan- the decor and lighting were so unique, the food was wonderful (the wasabi mashed potatoes were to die for!), but the conversation is what I remember most.  It doesn't take us long- no matter how long we have been apart- to dive right into it.  Someone always ends up being put "in the chair", as we lovingly call it.  Although there is nothing lovely about it when you are the one in the chair.

After dinner, we ran down a rainy street to see the Liberty Bell.  I didn't have my camera with me- so I don't have a picture to show, but it was the first of many amazing things I was able to see on what will be known as my Historical Vacation.  

Just being in that town, where such important events took place, gave me chills.  But it was just the beginning of greater things to come!

After a short but beautiful drive, we arrived at their home, dropped off our things, grabbed their boys and were off to the most darling dairy farm to get some of the creamiest ice cream my taste buds have had the privilege of enjoying.  

But as we walked out their front door to go to the farm, I witnessed a wonderful sight!  Fireflies!  The coolest things I have ever seen- little lights flashing all over the place!  I was just amazed- they are real!  Not just something from a ride at Disneyland or in a Disney movie.  I think if I lived back east, I would never sleep-  I would sit all night watching these amazing insects.

After we returned home from the farm, and the boys were tucked in bed, we spent a few wonderful hours trying to solve the problems of the world (at least our own small world)- which is one of my most favorite things to do with Ryan and Tiffany.  Their knowledge and perspectives are so appreciated by Erik and I.

Late that night we retired to our room- a cozy space with chocolates and a comfortable bed waiting for us.  We opened the windows to let the magical sounds of the night come in and sing us to sleep.  

It was a warm night but I instantly fell asleep dreaming of what the next day would bring- Mount Vernon!

Stay tuned for day two and as I have promised- photos!

2 comments:

  1. It really was so much fun! And I'm glad to know that you were as mesmerized by the fireflies as I am!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh it sounds just like a fairytale. I loved reading this! I felt like I was there.

    ReplyDelete